Monday, June 11, 2012

The Starting Point


My first blog post….whew, a little intimidating! How about we start with a little background info…
S and I are from Tennessee, got married in 2010, and desired to follow the Father’s calling to share His Good News with all people. We moved to Southeast Asia on April 15, 2012, and will be doing language school until October. Once we finish up language study, we’ll move to our “home” for the next year and a half, where we’ll work with an Eco-Tourism company doing scuba diving and hiking, etc. Pretty awesome, huh? :-) 
As we work, our pr@yer is that we demonstrate this verse:
“This is how we know what love is: Jesus laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” (1 John 3:17-18)
And as we build relationships we want to “overflow” onto those around us: For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of” (Lk 6:45) and “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the H.S.” (Rom 15:13). Just as all believers are called to do, even as we go about our work and daily tasks, we will “always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” (1 Peter 3:15).
So, that’s our purpose. We’re loving the adventure of living overseas—language learning (AH!), cooking (it usually goes something like this when I read a recipe: “hmmm, can’t buy that here, but I can substitute this…a can of that is WAY too expensive, I’ll have to make that ingredient from scratch…and who knows what temp my oven is ever at!?!?”), driving (we S learned how to drive a stick shift!), and learning what it means to really depend on the Father as “all our fountains are in Him” (Ps 87:7---I also love: “For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light” Ps 36:9; “The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a person from the snares of death” Prov 13:14).
Check back soon for recipes I’ve tried out (or want to try…my Pintrest board is WAY too full of “recipes to try”…and they all seem to be sweets!), or adventures as they pop up, or things that the Father is working in my heart. Thanks for your pr@yers and encouraging words as you share this journey with us!

2 comments:

  1. Now we are blogging friends!

    "I thank [Father] always when I remember you in my prayers, because I hear of your love and of the faith that you have toward JC and for all the saints, and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of C." Phil 1:4-6

    Love you cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I'm so excited that you will be blogging! I look forward to trying these recipes you are using! Maybe you could do a blog about how to make things from scratch! :) I love that we have several ways to stay connected with you two!
    Love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete